Saint Saviour's Center traces its roots to 1894 when Christ Episcopal Church established Saint Saviour's Mission at the corner of Johnson and West Streets
in Raleigh. The mission served as a church and school for families in the mill area of town.
By the mid-1920s, the mission had grown and was in need
of a larger building. Through the generosity of Christ Church parishioners, two stone buildings were constructed
on a block of land bounded by Glenwood, Johnson, Boylan and Tucker streets. The main building, named after
parishioner Edgar Haywood, housed a chapel and classrooms. The other building served as a rectory. The mission
was renamed Saint Saviour's Episcopal Church, and the congregation met in this location until 1940 when it
moved to Six Forks Road and became St. Timothy's Episcopal Church.
In 1937 Christ Church founded Ravenscroft School at the Edgar Haywood Building. Ravenscroft
eventually became an independent private school and moved to its current location in north Raleigh.
In 1970 Raleigh Housing Authority (RHA) purchased the property and set
up offices in the buildings.
RHA moved its offices to another location, and the buildings became available. At the same time, Christ Church was looking
for a place to expand its outreach. The church, in partnership with RHA, established a community outreach center and
began offering assistance programs for area residents. They named the new organization Saint Saviour's Center in
honor of the mission that inspired the buildings.
Today the center houses charitable programs that serve low-income residents of Raleigh and Wake County.
It is part of a network of outreach programs, with direct connections to more than 20 non-profit organizations collectively
reaching thousands of people each year.